Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Lip

Yes. My daughter is two. And yes. She had to have cavities filled. I was embarrassed, ashamed, guilt-ridden. I did not have a cavity until I was 21 years old; how could this be possible? She doesn't drink soda and doesn't eat a lot of sweets. I thought her diet was decent, compared to some toddlers. We brush her teeth. No matter. Apparently, these things are genetic. The teeth with cavities were her two year molars; her newest teeth. Those that she has had for two years or more were fine. Hmmm. Regardless of my shame or guilt, they had to be filled; she'll have those molars for several years.

We arrived at the dental office 30 minutes prior to the procedure so the nurse could sufficiently drug Ava. She drank a cup of "juice", i.e. Versed disguised as juice, which promptly caused my sweet, angelic two year old to begin behaving like a blubbering alcoholic. While it was slightly alarming, it was also pretty darn funny. Within 10 minutes, she began slurring and speaking gibberish; while she was lying in my lap, I asked if she wanted me to hold her. Her response? "Shrek." Seriously.

After the fillings, which were done after her mouth was numbed, the nurses warned me not to allow her to chew on her mouth or lips. Seems easy enough, right? See photo below...

Did YOU know that 20% of children self mutilate themselves while numb after a dental procedure? Yeah, me neither. We weren't even out of the parking lot and she already bitten her lip so hard it was bleeding. I tried to get her to stop; gave her juice, put my own finger in her mouth, etc. The damage was done. This photo was taken about an hour after we got home after the procedure. She is NOT sticking her lip out. It was actually swollen to that size.

Luckily for you, the reader, I don't have any photos from the "healing" period. Her lip completely scabbed over and looked HORRENDOUS. The director of her daycare even called, because she had never seen anything like it. There was no infection, though, and after a week, all was back to normal.

LESSON LEARNED: Get your kid a mouthpiece after a dental procedure.

3 comments:

  1. If I didn't feel so bad for Ava, I swear I would have laughed out loud at this.

    Have you seen the YouTube video of the little boy coming back from the dentist? He asks his dad stuff like:

    "Is this REAL?" and then says, "I can't see ANYTHING!" although clearly he can. Nobody likes taking a kid to the doctor/dentist but you have to admit that drugged up kids are funny.

    I say blame this one your dad/mom and tell Ava that she'd have beautiful care-free teeth if Grandma/Grandpa weren't bad people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww!!! Poor baby. I haven't gotten to experience one of mine on that silly juice yet. I kinda wish I could...

    ReplyDelete