

This year, I participated in Baton Rouge's Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I am so happy I did it. I have always wanted to take part in something like this, and the experience was incredible. My lovely friend Beth asked me to join her, and I walked with her, her sister (and my friend) Dana, their mom Mary (aka Janu) and their friends the Waggenspacks. The matriarch of the Waggenspacks, Brenda, is a breast cancer survivor. I was honored to walk with her.
Beth, Dana and I arrived on LSU's campus around 8am (our three collective children were at my house with a babysitter). There were people EVERYWHERE. We've heard guesstimates of over 10,000 people in attendance. This cause is so important to so many. Most participants (like us) were wearing the standard white 2009 RFTC shirts. Some groups who had formed teams wore shirts they'd had made. The Survivors had pink shirts that read, "I Believe. I Hope. I'm a Survivor". I was immediately overwhelmed by how many of those shirts surrounded us. Racers could list those they were walking "In Honor Of" or "In Memory Of", and we often noticed people who were walking in honor of their mom or wife or sister. One lady was walking in memory of her grandmother AND in honor of her mom and aunt. Wow. As Beth and I were nearing the end of the route, we came up behind a man whose sign read "I Race in Memory of MY WIFE". As we got close, Beth grabbed his hand and held it. He replied, "It's okay, honey, I'll make it". As she and I continued on, we were overcome with emotion. I can't imagine what these people have been through, and where they find the strength to move on. The entire experience was incredible.
I walked 5k (3.1 miles). Big deal. These people have fought for their lives. I hope that, in some small way, my contribution to this amazing cause helped. Because of my fabulous family and friends, I was able to contribute over $250 to Susan G. Komen. THANK YOU to Sara, Dawn, Enid, Jenny, Nancy, Mammaw, Dad and Todd. I love you and appreciate you!


I would have donated had I known. :( Thanks for sharing your insight on this. It gave me chill bumps. ILY.
ReplyDelete